UNLV shoots a 3-over 291 in round two and will head into Sunday’s final round in Tempe in eighth at 12-over
TEMPE, Arizona (UNLVRebels.com) – UNLV women’s golf turned in a solid second round Saturday at the PING/ASU Invitational at Arizona State’s Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, shooting a 3-over (291) as a team to move to 12-over (588) for the tournament. The Rebels will head into Sunday’s final round alone in eighth place.
Four of five Rebels competing in the team portion carded rounds of 2-over or better Saturday with junior Elizabeth Prior leading the way after shooting a 1-under 71. After two rounds rounds, Prior is at 2-over (146) and sits in a tie for 24th. Senior Mackenzie Raim, who started the day in a tie for sixth at 2-under, dropped back into a tie for 27th at 3-over (147), while freshman Polly Mack shot a 1-over (73) Saturday to also end day two at 3-over and in a tie for 27th. Sophomore Nastasia Kossacky and junior Shannon Oh carded rounds of 74 and 73, respectively, and will enter the third round at 8-over (152) and in a tie for 51st. Freshman Cathy Liu, playing as an individual, shot another round of 78 to sit in a tie for 66th at 12-over (156).
No. 17 Oklahoma State shot up from fourth to first after carding a 5-under (283) as a team in round two to lead the field at 7-under (569). No. 16 Washington shot even on the day to remain at 4-under for the tournament, which is good for second place. TCU and No. 15 Arizona each came in at 1-under after two rounds and are tied for third. Oregon, who started the day in a tie with UNLV in seventh at 9-over, shot a tournament-best round of 7-under to get two 2-over and crack the top five.
Individually, Oklahoma State’s Emma Broze ascended to the top of the leaderboard after a Saturday round of 5-under 67 and that’s where she will be heading into Sunday’s final round after an even first round. Broze holds a one-stroke lead over four players who are all tied for second at 4-under – Arizona’s Bianca Pagdanganan and YuSang Hou, Washington’s Wenyung Keh and TCU’s Greta Bruner.
REBEL OF THE DAY: Prior’s 71 Saturday was the top Rebel round the day.
T24th – Elizabeth Prior, junior (75-71 — 146, +2)
T27th – Mackenzie Raim, senior (70-77 — 147, +3)
T27th – Polly Mack, freshman (74-73 — 147, +3)
T51st – Nastasia Kossacky, sophomore (78-74 — 152, +8)
T51st – Shannon Oh, junior (79-73 — 152, +8 )
T66th – Cathy Liu, Freshman (78-78 — 156, +12) *
TOP FIVE TEAMS:
1. Oklahoma State (286-283 — 569 , -7)
2. Washington (284-288 — 572, -4)
T3. TCU (289-286 — 575, -1)
T3. Arizona (285-290 — 575, -1)
5. Oregon (297-281 — 578 , +2)
• UNLV entered the weekend in Tempe having won two of its last three tournaments
• UNLV recently recorded its second home tournament win of the 2017-18 season as they shot a 17-over at the inaugural Rebel Beach Invitational at Spanish Trail Golf Club Feb. 26-27 to win by two strokes, then followed that with a 53-stroke win at the Jackrabbit Invitational last week
• Last season, UNLV won the Mountain West Championship for the second straight year
• UNLV has appeared in 15 straight NCAA Regionals
• The Rebels have won three conference championships in seven years under head coach Amy Bush-Herzer
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: UNLV will tee off at 7:30 a.m. PT for the final round Sunday.