UNLV has won three straight at home and four of its last five games overall
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) – Junior forward Shakur Juiston and freshman forward Brandon McCoy combined for 41 points and 29 rebounds as the UNLV men’s basketball team (18-7, 7-5 MW) defeated Wyoming 85-70 Saturday at the Thomas & Mack Center.
It was the Runnin’ Rebels’ third straight win at home and fourth overall in their last five games.
Juiston led four UNLV players in scoring with 22 points, while McCoy added 19. McCoy had a game-high 15 rebounds for his 13th double-double of the season and Juiston had 14 boards for his 11th double-double. Freshman forward Tervell Beck scored a career-high 15 points and senior guard Jovan Mooring contributed 10.
The Cowboys (16-9, 7-5 MW) were led by Hayden Dalton’s 21 points.
THE TURNING POINT: UNLV opened the game with a 19-2 lead and led by as many as 21 points in the first half, but Wyoming cut its deficit to 10 (45-35) at the half. Wyoming fought back to take a one-point lead at 50-49 with just under 16 minutes to go, but UNLV used a 14-3 run to take a 10-point lead with under 12 minutes to play.
STAT OF THE GAME: UNLV held Wyoming to just 18.2 percent from 3-point range for the game (6 of 33). The Cowboys were just 2 of 16 (12.5 percent) in the second half.
RUNNIN’ REBEL OF THE GAME: Juiston was 11 of 15 from the field, blocked three shots and had two assists.
QUOTABLE: “We really wanted to get out to a good start. That was one of the things we talked about a lot. Coach LaFleur had the scout and he made the observation that this team was really hard to play from behind against because they are so efficient with their upperclassmen in their halfcourt sets and they manage the clock very well. So it was important to get off to a good start and as you saw they aren’t going anywhere. They are a good team and it was a good win.” – UNLV head coach Marvin Menzies.
– UNLV is now in third place in the Mountain West standings.
– UNLV’s only loss during the last five games was by two points in overtime at Boise State.
– UNLV improved to 3-3 at home in MW play.
– UNLV has now won vs. Wyoming at the Thomas & Mack Center for the 17th straight time.
– UNLV has now made at least one 3-pointer in 1,031 straight games.
– McCoy was 11 of 13 from the free-throw line. He has made 28 of his last 31 attempts.
– UNLV went to the free-throw line 13 more times than Wyoming.
– UNLV out-rebounded Wyoming, 49-41.
– UNLV out-scored Wyoming 44-32 in points in the paint.
NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN’ REBELS: The Runnin’ Rebels will remain home at the Thomas & Mack Center to host Air Force on Wednesday, Feb. 14 at 7 p.m. Tickets may be purchased at UNLVtickets.com, by calling 702-739-FANS (3267) or by visiting the Thomas & Mack Center Box Office.